Wednesday, October 1, 2008

vegan mofo.



for those of you living under a rock, today is the first day of the vegan month of food. hooray!
i will of course be posting as much as my busy schedule allows, and am already plotting what recipes to make and share on here. so let the fun begin.




pictured here is a sloppy joe san'ich, recipe from the new farm vegetarian cookbook.
this received rave reviews. my omni dad liked it better than "normal" sloppy joes!



this was tonight's dinner. the recipe is from a better homes and gardens vegetarian booklet i randomly came upon while searching my cookbook cabinet for something to make. it originally called for bulgur, but i found out after i'd already set my heart on making the recipe that we're out. so, i subbed quinoa. it was my first time eating quinoa, and i loved it!

cinnamon-spiced quinoa stuffed peppers
1 3/4 c water
1/2 c chopped yellow onion
1/2 c shredded carrots
1/4 t salt
1 t vegetable bouillon granules
dash cinnamon
3/4 c quinoa
1/3 c dried cranberries
2 large sweet peppers
1/2 c water

in a large pot bring 1 3/4 c water, onion, carrots, salt, bouillon, and cinnamon to boiling. turn down heat, cover, simmer for five minutes.

stir in quinoa and cranberries and simmer for about 15 minutes, until water is absorbed. remove from heat and let stand about 10 minutes.

halve the peppers lengthwise, remove seeds and membranes. spoon quinoa mixture into pepper halves then place them into a skillet. add 1/2 c water and bring to boiling, then reduce the heat and simmer for a good 5 to 10 minutes til peppers are tender but still slightly firm.

9 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

HOORAY FOR MOFO AND FOR SUPER-DELICIOUS MEALS!!! Glad that your omni dad loved the dishes, especially :0)

tofufreak said...

yay! glad you like the quinoa--it sounds and looks awesome!

Maggie M. said...

The peppers look great, thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that your dad loved the dishes! And the quinoa sounds delish =)

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious!

I didn't know there was a vegan month of food! It's also my birthday month! Score!

Also, it's always great to know an omni likes something vegan ;)

Skippy said...

I just recently discovered quinoa,it's so good and goes with just about everything. Now I use it as a rice replacement. Boy is that stuff good! I'll have to try out your recipe.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

YUM I love the quinoa peppers! I am definitely going to be making these!

Astra Libris said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I'm so glad you led me, in turn, to your blog... :-) Congrats on being vegan! Your quinoa peppers sound incredible!! Quinoa is the best - thank you for the great recipe!!

Sheree' said...

Quinoa is awesome and I love this recipe! Looks and sounds fantastic