Wednesday, October 8, 2008
vegan mofo, day 8: eggplant thingy.
wednesday is always grocery day. my mom always takes me to sprouts early-ish in the morning. it's like whole foods, but better because the food is not ridiculously priced, and they have free coffee.
... FREE. and it's tasty.
i think it's actually there just to sample but i always go back for more, oops.
today's trip we got a ton of veggies, including two lovely perfectly purple eggplants. way exciting because a few weeks ago the eggplants were looking a little sad and abused. so for dinner i threw together a stew-type thing. i don't know what you'd call it. it's kind of like ratatouille i suppose but without zucchini and not as liquidy. it is also amazing over brown rice.
1 medium eggplant, cut into chunks
1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large tomato, cut into chunks
about 1/2 medium chopped yellow onion
as much minced garlic as you can stand (i've developed an immunity)
heat oil in a large skillet on med-high.
after oil is hot enough toss in eggplant and asparagus. cook until eggplant is slightly golden. add the garlic, tomato, and onion, and cook until everything is tender and yummy looking. season with black pepper and garlic salt.
*edit to add this survey from food snobbery is my hobbery!
1. Name a song that involves food in some way.
lucy in the sky with diamonds. y'know, tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
2. What criteria do you use when choosing a new cookbook to buy?
easy and fast. doesn't require totally weird ingredients. stuff my family would eat.
3. What did you eat today?
umm alot! but the highlights have been roasted red pepper hummus and spinach wrap and the above mentioned main dish.
4. Name a vegan food that you know exists but you have never tried.
tempeh (i KNOW, right?)
5. The Food Network just called and needs you to start your new show tomorrow. What will the title of the show be?
nothing.. i would hate to be on tv haha
6. Favorite hot sauce or other spicy condiment?
cajun hot sauce
7. How old were you when you became vegetarian/vegan?
vegetarian 15 (i think) vegan 16
8. Favorite vegan cheeze?
9. Cutest baby animal?
bunnies. hands down.
10. Favorite type of jam/jelly/marmalade/preserves?
11. Do you take any vitamins/supplements?
i never remember to.
12. What food/dish most embodies the Fall season?
13. What food would you have a hard time living without?
any kind of carb.
14. Coffee, tea, or hot chocolate?
15. It's 10PM and you're starving. What do you eat?
pb & j
16. If you have an animal companion, what is his/her favorite food?
wendy the golden retriever! she likes my popcorn that falls on the floor.
17. Worst injury you've gotten in the kitchen?
burned myself after dropping a pizza a la yeah that vegan shit
18. When you have a food-related question, who do you call?
19. Summer is ending- What food will you miss most?
20. What snacks do you keep in your purse/backpack/desk at work?
i don't work anymore, thank god.
21. Favorite soup to make on a rainy day?
22. What's your favorite combination of fresh vegetable and/or fruit juices?
pineapple-orange-banana. but i don't like juice really.
23. Favorite brand of root beer?
24. Make up your own question!
what is the first vegan thing you baked?
i think mine was banana muffins. and they weren't too shabby for my first try.