Sunday, October 5, 2008

vegan mofo, day 5: pb&j muffins.

yesterday was so tiring. i woke up at 5:45, chugged a bunch of coffee, had a bowl of power-oatmeal, then went and took the SAT. i think i did pretty well, and this time i left my phone in the car so the alarm would NOT go off. after it was over and i came home i proceeded to fry my brain with lots of hulu-watching to try to recover from all the mental strain from the morning, ha.

later i went out to eat (no food pics, sorry) with a few friends and roamed around denton.




our little alien friend :)



onto the food!

i've been wanting to make pb & j muffins for a loooong time. so last night when i was lurking around vegweb i found this recipe and tweaked it a bit. the jam in the middle definitely makes the muffin, in my opinion.



pb & j muffins
adapted from vegweb

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup quick oats
3/4 cup vanilla almond milk or other milk sub
1 ener-G egg
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
your favorite flavor of jam

preheat oven to 400 F.
mix together whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, and oats in a large bowl.
in a smaller bowl prepare "egg" then mix in peanut butter, almond milk, and maple syrup.
pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir til moistened.
spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray. for each muffin, drop in a tbsp of batter, then about a tsp of jam, then another tbsp of batter on top.
bake for about 15 minutes--use the toothpick test.



yum!

by the way, for those of you who might have noticed how much i post about baked goods and
might be wondering whether i actually eat them every day: yes. yes i do. :)

*edited because i just realized i didn't even put up the muffin photos? i think i need sleep.

12 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Love the photos of you and your friends!! So fun!!

Oooh, PBJ muffins!! Fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Aww, you look like you had fun!


I love the idea od PB&J muffins, they sound delish!!

Anonymous said...

Omg, I love your style, you should seriously think about modeling!!!

PB&J muffins? Sounds like heaven. :)

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

You are so SO cute!! I LOVE your hair!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a vegan PBJ muffin recipe for a while!

Does it matter if I use plain whole wheat flour or does it have to be PASTRY flour? I always wonder if it would dramatically affect the texture.

alaina said...

cellophanestarr,
i used pastry flour because i was all out of everything else. i don't think using regular whole wheat would cause any problems. texture-wise it will probably be a bit different because the pastry flour is finer but since they're muffins it should be okay.

VeganView said...

What a clever idea. I love PB & J and wat better way to eat it then in a muffin! Looks so good!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

You rock for eating baked goods every day! I would love to do that... but I am too lazy to make them so often :o/

Ooh yay for Denton! I just love Cupboard Natural Foods :o).

And cute pic... oh, and yay for being done with that tiring SAT!

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

Love your specs!

The pbj muffins sound yummy! Think I will try them.

Anonymous said...

I'm an X-Files nerd, so I love your aien! I beg she dug your yummy muffins, too!

tofufreak said...

hehe looks like you had fun :D

the muffins look yummy =D

Anonymous said...

all your baking looks so good! I ordered the happy herbivore sneak peak book and I def need to make those cookies!