Monday, November 10, 2008
maple-fig glazed acorn squash.
i had two sad little acorn squashes that i'd been neglecting for a few weeks. every time i would open the fridge i could almost hear them pleading for me to cook them into something yummy. it was getting so annoying that i finally broke down. actually, i'd been thinking about what to make but with my busy schedule i can usually only cook on mondays and wednesdays and maybe one weekend day. needless to say, those are my favorite days of the week.
i know these photos are practically identical, i just couldn't decide which one was better so i'm posting them both. ;P
maple-fig glazed acorn squash
2 acorn squashes
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup fig preserves
3/4 tsp ginger
preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
slice the ends off the cute lil squashes. if you're a weakling like me you may want to microwave them for about five minutes first so they're a bit softer and easier to cut. next slice the squashes into four rings each and scrape out the goop.
place the rings on a cookie sheet (line it with parchment paper, or spray with oil). bake for 15 minutes (around 10 if you nuked them first).
meanwhile whisk together the maple syrup, fig preserves, and ginger in a small bowl.
after squash is ready take it out of the oven and brush with the glaze. put it back in for 15 minutes. then take it out and brush it again, and bake 10 more minutes or until tender.
i scraped out the insides of my rings to eat it. i wasn't sure if you're supposed to eat the skin... yes? no? at any rate, this recipe is quite good if you basically want to eat candy for dinner.
p.s. i've been tagged by josie!
the rules are to write seven things about yourself, then tag seven other people to do the same.
so, here are my seven:
1. i've played piano ever since i can remember, and i've taught it since i was 13.
2. i've also done ballet since i was 3 1/2 and i used to be in a pre-professional company but i left this year since i decided i wanted to devote my time to other things.
3. i love, LOVE sweaters. especially the grandpa variety.
4. when i was little i thought it would be fun to put my arm on a conveyor belt at the wal-mart checkout counter and it got sucked under almost all the way. and yes, i was pretty traumatized.
5. if i'm not studying, i spend my weekends hanging out around coffee houses and bars with my friends. also, most of my friends are college-aged because i kind of hate highschoolers (hypocritical, yes?)
6. i have a weakness for tattooed and pierced boys... yummy.
7. my dream is to someday live in austin in a little hippie house and paint the whole thing in east indian-type murals.
i don't know who to tag... everyone's already done it! so if you're reading this and haven't filled it out yet, consider yourself tagged and get to it.