Thursday, January 15, 2009

meatless in cincinnati.

well, i've finally gotten back into the grind after a very nice break and have officially started my last semester of high school. last semester! woo hoo! that thought is the only one keeping me from freaking out that i'm taking seven classes. jeeeesh.



this is some whoppin' good chili. and that's coming from a chili expert (aka a texan.)
it's very different from my traditional texas-style chili. what is texas-style chili, you ask? it's simple really: take any regular spicy bean chili, add rotel brand diced tomatoes n green chilies, and you've got texan chili.
like i said though, this is different. the addition of sweet spices and cocoa give it a wonderful depth and flavor.

cornbread as a side is a given. i always eat cornbread with chili. and when you cut it in half and drizzle agave all over while its still warm and it crystallizes, oh god... heaven.

cincinnati-style chili
adapted slightly from the complete idiot's guide to vegan cooking

2 1/2 cups water
2 T ketchup
1 T soy sauce
1 c TVP granules
1 medium onion, diced
2 t olive oil
1 T minced garlic
1 1/2 T chili powder (or more, depending on how hardcore you are)
1 t cinnamon
1 t sea salt
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t paprika
1/2 t black pepper
1/4 t allspice
1/4 t cloves
1/4 t cayenne
1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (16 oz) can great northern beans
4 t cocoa powder
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 bay leaf

pour 1 cup boiling water over the TVP granules. mix in ketchup and soy sauce. let stand to rehydrate for 10 minutes.

heat olive oil in a large pot and saute onion until soft. add garlic, chili powder, cinnamon, salt, cumin, oregano, paprika, black pepper, allspice, cloves, and cayenne. saute 2 more minutes.

stir in TVP mixture, remaining 1 1/2 cups water, tomato sauce, beans, cocoa powder, vinegar, and bay leaf. cover, reduce to low, and cook 10 to 15 minutes (mine needed way longer... like 40?) or until thickened.

25 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Mmmm, chili!!! Faaaabulous.

Best of luck with classes, girl!!

Anonymous said...

Holy. freakin. YUM! I love chili and cornbread! I'm bookmarking this for sure and I will have to try the cornbread/agave trick. I always use agave in my cornbread but never as a topping.

Excuse me while I go wipe up my drool...

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks amazing! Mole-ish chili with cocoa always intrigues me. Good luck with school!

Anonymous said...

good luck! that chilli looks great!

Nicole said...

Oh my gosh, that looks amazing!

brooke said...

wow your chili looks delicious! chili and cornbread are two of my favorite foods :) i will also be bookmarking this recipe!

* said...

great recipe i love chili and cornbread together perfect! looks super delicious!
best of luck with your classes!

Anonymous said...

yuuuuummy! Look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Let's hear it for the last semester of school! Woot! And chili is always a good idea!

Jenn Shagrin said...

Haha I totally know what you mean. Several times, I've walked up to my sister with a sample on a fork and she's cringe in fear.
As a born and raised Ohioan, I have to try this chili recipe asap. Yum.

Anonymous said...

whoaaa that chili looks d.e.l.i.c.i.o.u.s.. i'd love to try making it myself one day. proper tex mex! makes my british attempts look embarassing ahaha :) i'm gonna add you to my blogroll thinggg hope thats ok xxx

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Ah yes, chili must be eaten with cornbread. Actually, chili and cornbread sound just about perfect on a freezing cold day like today!

Good luck with all your classes! Lucky number seven!

Amira said...

thanks so much fro checkin out my blog!
That chilli looks soooo good, i've had chilli like once in my life but your description of cornbread with agave dipped it in is making my mouth water it sounds way too good!
p.s i've never heard of soy nut butter sounds fantastic i'll be looking out for that thanks
ox

Gina said...

Mmm, cornbread sounds so good right about now!

The Cooking Lady said...

Holy Snap! This looks great and oh so simple (as long as you have the spices, which we do)

I look forward to making this one for sure!

Jenn said...

Your chili looks fab!

Ha on the mustard and cheetos! Have you tried Tings? They'rs surprsingly cheeto-like, but vegan.

Anonymous said...

LOL, Forgive me but I have NO idea what daisy dukes are!

Joanna said...

dreads would be soo cool. i don't think i could pull them off either. i've never touched a dreadlock before actually. i'm curious now haha i plan on going up to the next stranger who has them and just copping a feel!!

good luck with school, my friend. do you know where you're going to college yet?!?!

Jes said...

Great looking chili! And good luck with the classes; I remember how long my last semester felt..

KP said...

That chili looks really good! And how perfect for the chilly weather!

VeganCowGirl said...

I love that you included cocoa! People always think I am crazy when I add cocoa. Your chilli looks great!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Wow, your last semester! Good luck, girl!

Anonymous said...

heeeyyyy I made this chili tonight, it was sooo good, i blogged it and linked back to you. hope thats ok ! xxx

Anonymous said...

I am a chili fanatic and this is a great looking batch of chili I am going to have to try this recipe

Bethany said...

congrats on being in your last semester of high school! it's going to go by so fast and it will be really fun.

I love chili w/ cocoa, it adds a nice subtle flavor. typically I'm too lazy to make the cornbread, but I agree that it makes the meal complete.